It’s already known that I’m an avid
Tumblr user. For the most part, if I’m not breaking my thumb scrolling through
tumblr, it is highly likely that I’m on the booksite Wattpad. Wattpad is a site
where people can upload stories and get feedback through likes and votes.If a
story has a lot of likes and votes there is a strong possibility that it will
actually get published. I’ve seen quite a few books I read on Wattpad on the
shelves of Barnes and Noble, while others have become e-books sold on Amazon. Some
even gain the momentum, after publishing to become movies. All though I love
Wattpad, I’ve recently noticed that the majority of the stories I’ve read have
had an all-white cast. Majority of the stories start off with a Caucasian
heroine with blonde hair and blue eyes, or there is a switch up and she’s a
brunette with hazel eyes. Rarely have I read a story with a black, Asian, or
Indian main character. Almost every LGBTQ+ book is about a Caucasian couple. The
occasional person of color is mentioned and even then that character is just
the perpetuation of a stereotype. I’ve read stories where the Indian kid was
the top of the class and only cared about grades, the Chinese girl was the best
at math and science, the black girls were braid-wearing loud mouths, and the Hispanic
guys within the story only referred to girls as mamacita and were in gangs. If
I do find a story with a black main character she is mixed or there is an
emphasis on her curvy shape, “full lips”, caramel skin and straight hair.
People have become aware of the lack of diversity on Wattpad and stories can be
found with POC casts; however, these stories are less popular and therefore
hard to find.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2014/0506/Lack-of-diversity-in-book-world-continues-to-stir-debate-video
Really interesting. I assume this says something about the producers of these stories. What do you think? Wealth and race are correlated, so perhaps white authors have more resources (time, money) to be able to spend their time working on novels without a publishing deal and no guarantee of income from their work. Although Asians on average earn more than whites, so that challenges my initial thought, because otherwise we would see proportional representation of lead Asian characters. Nice links!
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I didn't know what POC meant. I had to look it up. Lack of diversity is a problem in children's books too. I do storytimes at work (I work at a public library) and I try to make a point to choose diverse books, but sometimes I have to search for them, because they aren't as readily available.
ReplyDelete