If the media I consumed was to be
rated, it would definitely be rated NC-17. As a Tumblr junkie, I can assuredly say
that Tumblr has mature content. Depending on who you follow and the content you
are interested in you can stumble upon porn blogs, pro-Nazi blogs, blood and
gore blogs, or any other range of things. Tumblr even warns you to be careful
about the content that people you follow post. I don’t think I will ever forget
the time I was on Tumblr with my mom sitting a few feet away from me and I
scrolled down to see gay porn. I almost had a heart attack. I remember praying
my mom wouldn’t ask what I was looking at. Tumblr doesn’t actually have a
rating, because it is on the internet. People are free to post whatever the
hell they want. If you are a courteous human being, some people flag their NSFW
(not safe for work) posts and they include the fact that their blog is NSFW.
Others don’t care. I know for the other
media I consume that there are certain restrictions. Instagram does not allow nudity
and vine usually covers mature content with a warning. Rihanna was banned from
Instagram for a year, for a picture she posted where her breasts were exposed.
What’s interesting is there was a phenomenon on Instagram where people where
posting nudes of “thots” and exposing them. These pages were created and named
by people in different counties. It became big enough that the news covered it
and was trending on twitter.
https://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/nsfw
That's so true about Tumblr! I'm very careful about who I follow, but it still happens to me. I'll be casually scrolling and it's like "oh, a cool recipe! oh, another really nice quote! Oh... porn, okay cool bye." That's usually when I close the app. I didn't know what "NSFW" meant; I've seen it tagged before and always wondered. That's helpful, I guess! If tumblr itself isn't really censored, at least people are doing what they can to self-censor.
ReplyDelete