For this assignment I decided to use the Yahoo website. When I was 8, my parents allowed me to make my first e-mail account. At the time I was obsessed with Stardoll and Dollwar. Those are dress-up doll websites that allowed you to make an account and create your doll, shop, make friends, etc. To make an account, you of course needed to have an e-mail and I always pestered my mom for hers.
Back in 2006, when I first made my Yahoo account,
they website looked completely different. When you were signing up for an
account, you could make an Avatar, Yahoo! would sing when you opened up the
instant messenger, and you could actually watch music videos. I used to
open countless tabs and read the news, technology updates, and even science
articles. Since then Yahoo has undergone a ton of changes. There is no longer a
music section of Yahoo, making an avatar is no longer an option, and the news
that is placed on the main page is usually celebrity gossip. Yahoo has changed
with the times.
Nowadays, I only go on the Yahoo page to read
technology updates. I don't read their news section because I probably found
the information out from Tumblr. Yahoo's change from a useful information source to celeb gossip with the occasional news, is a reflection of the cultural norms of today. People are more interested in celebrity news than in actual news. That along with the fact that people now find out important news from alternate sources.
No comments:
Post a Comment